Wednesday, June 3, 2015

MCP Rules again!!!!


How excited am I about this?  So excited that I'd make a bad illustration of the MCP logo and celebratory fireworks?  Yup!

Wait. What are you excited about again?  Only about this statement in MCP!!!  It is called "On Credibility, Clarity and Compliance" (I really wanted to throw in another funny C word but I couldn't come up with one.  Google suggested "cacodemomania" which is the fear that you are possessed but this is far too cool and serious.

I've always had a soft spot in my head for MCP. And not just because now that I'm on the dark side I still get access to most articles they publish.  I have appreciated MCP because of the focus on quality.  I was stunned, annoyed and possibly a little angry when MCP had to drop some of their requirements for publication, particularly the requirement that all RAW data was publicly accessible.  Seriously, though, what do we do with all this data?  We filled the venerable and powerful Tranche servers until they hardly worked. I keep just dropping more hard drives into my home PC to keep up with all the data that just the people I work with in my day job generate.

But you know what?  MCP has the straight up intestinal fortitude to say "you know what? Yes, the data is getting bigger and its going to be increasingly hard to make public, but in order to make sure the stuff in this journal is AWESOME we are going to make it required to make that data available." Is it harder for the authors?  Yup.  Is it harder for everybody at MCP?  Of course.  Is it the right decision? Hell yes it is.

Serious serious kudos to the editors for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment