Monday, December 22, 2014

Install Proteome Discoverer on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012


Does your Windows on your new PC look all crazy like this thing above?  Is it a pain in the butt to find things like "My Computer" or "My Documents" or anything else that is useful?  If so, then you now have Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 on your computer.  What does that mean for you Thermo software?

Officially, I'm not 100% sure.  I think you should be running Windows 7 64-bit.  But if you can't then it isn't the end of the world!  I installed Proteome Discoverer 1.4 and 2.0 and Pepfinder all on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Enterprise and they all appear to work just fine.  Installation of Pepfinder on Windows Server 2012 Enterprise required 2 additional steps that I could find by right-clicking on the installation file.  1) "Run as administrator" 2) Run in "Windows compatibility mode" as Windows 7.  Again, I don't know if this installation is officially supported by Thermo and if you run into trouble whether tech support can help you, but if you are in a pinch cause you bought a computer that doesn't have Windows 7 drivers or something, you should be able to make it work.

3 comments:

  1. Installing PD 1.4 requires installing Windows Framework Net 3.5 SP1. which is not the latest version. Which is not recommended for people with Windows 8. Does installing cause any havoc to the OS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great point and question! Umm....and I don't know. I don't use this computer for anything but Proteome Discoverer, Compound Discoverer, and PepFinder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have PD1.4 on a Windows 8 machine with bunch of other things as well. It works perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete