Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Antibodypedia!


I was reading through JPR abstracts and saw the mention of this resource.  The article, however, wasn't open access, so they won't get any credit here.  (I don't want y'all thinking I read something that I really didn't, anyway.)

This resource is awesome and I wish it was around when I had to "validate" every proteomics result with some sort of antibody-based assay.

Here is how it works:

1) You enter your protein of interest and hit the search button


The antibodypedia comes back with some ontology information on your protein, a list of orthologs and how many antibodies are commercially available.

By clicking on the antibodies that are available, you get an expanded report leading you right to said antibodies!


Not only do you get the provider AND the catalog number, but you get an easy reference table for what that antibody is useful for; Western, immunocytochemistry, precipitation, and on and on!

The solid green dot means that the antibodypedia has verified evidence that the antibody works for that type of assay.  The 3/4 dots means the manufacturer shows evidence that the antibody works for that assay, but it hasn't been individually confirmed.  The 1/4 dot means that the manufacturer says it will work, but there is no evidence out there.

How easy is that?!?!  I've been a little uninspired this week so far, but this is exactly the kind of stuff I want to write about.

You can directly link to the antibodypedia here!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben,

    I came across this article and I think you might also find BenchSci interesting. (https://www.benchsci.com)

    BenchSci is a free online antibody search platform that myself and a team of recent PhD graduates have developed over the past 2 years.

    Briefly, our machine learning algorithm reads and analyzes publications to find out antibodies that have been published, and the experimental contexts surrounding the use of those antibodies.

    I'd be happy to tell you more over a quick call or email correspondence. I can be reached at maurice@benchsci.com

    Thank you!


    Maurice

    ReplyDelete