Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Proteomics Year in Review


2013 is over finally!  I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to saying that!  While I'm sitting here I figured I'd wrap up what I think was another awesome year for our field.  What were the big developments from the perspective of this biased guy?

When I start at the top, the first thing that really hits me is the native analysis of ovalbumin.  I'm sorry, I'm still floored by that one.  Just when we start to think that we've got a handle on all the awesome things that evolution has produced in biological systems, to think that a new tool can just blow the doors open and make us realize how little we really know?  Big favorite.

Quality control in proteomics!  This was a huge year for it.  Dr. Mechtler's lab gave us new free software for evaluating the QC of RAW data (SympatiQCo), MRM proteomics released serum peptide standards, and people all over the place are using the PRTC standard.  I expect and hope that this is just the tip of the iceberg for QC!  Let's all do it!

2013 was also the launch for the Orbitrap Fusion, something I think is best highlighted by the Coon lab one hour yeast proteome paper.  Gosh damn that thing is fast.  I can't wait to see what people do with it this year now that there are a bunch of them out there in good hands!

Another star of 2013 has been the TMT 10 plex.  Isobaric tagging with no loss in coverage?  It is so great to see reagents evolving along with our instruments.  If I haven't said this enough:  Are you running iTRAQ 8 plex?  Do yourself a favor, call a sales rep and get a trial of the TMT 10 plex.  Its been almost 6 months and I still haven't talked to a single person who tried 10 plex and didn't stop doing iTRAQ 8 plex.  Night and day....

The completion of the SRM yeast library is a pretty big deal.  This opens up the real option of doing DIA on yeast!  With more libraries on the way (and easier ways of making them), I think we're going to start seeing spectral library searches and targeted quan moving closer to center stage.

I know I'm skipping over a bunch of things.  This year was huge for all of us.  And I may add things as they pop into my head.  End thought, though:  DMSO!   Holy cow!  I love this one!  What other awesome stuff is right underneath our noses?

I'm going to post this now.  And I'm real excited for what y'all are going to do in 2014!  If you can't tell, I'm a big big fan of this field and I can't wait for the next paper that totally blows my mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment