Thursday, March 28, 2013

Korea HUPO Day 1


I just wrapped up day one at KHUPO.  What did I learn?  There is some top-notch proteomics research going on here in Korea.  Novel approaches to some old problems, ambitious tackling of some new ones, and some really really nice looking software.
I'm still a little unclear on what I am and am not allowed to write about.  The only thing that I have definite permission for is some new software, but I want to take it for a test drive first.  This is just a teaser, I guess, but it's hard to walk out of there and not write something!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,
    I know from past experinece at the HUPO world congress meeting (usually held around September/October) that this is an organization with an identity crisis. It seemed to me at least that they fall into a no-man's land between a technology-focused organization and biology-focused organization. The end result is that they do neither particularly well and the stagnant membership over the last few years I think reflects this. Having said all that I have not been to any of the regional HUPO meetings which may have a completely different vibe. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I can't really speak as to the world congress. I've never been. This event was pretty focused though. There was a guy on the second day who led his talk with the disclaimer "yes, this isn't human proteomics, but this is proteomics affecting human hunger." He was definitely in the minority that were off topic. The focus was surprising to me because I expected it to be a little diluted but it wasn't. Definitely a good conference

    ReplyDelete